(untitled)

To celebrate the 144th anniversary of its entrance into Confederation, the province of Manitoba has proclaimed the site of Upper Fort Garry in downtown Winnipeg a Provincial Park. The site of the former Hudson’s Bay Company trading post was built in 1822 and sold to the city of Winnipeg in 1882. A new interpretive centre is currently being constructed on the site and is planned to open on September 27, 2014. For more information and great photographs of the former fort, see this article from Global News.